Your car battery is the heart of your vehicle. When it goes, nothing in your car can operate, so you want to know what to look for when your battery is ready for replacement. What are the signs of a dying car battery?
Five Signs Your Car Battery is Dying
Most batteries don't just stop, there are signs of a problem before it gives out. Five signs your car battery is about to die are:
- Slow Start: If you notice it is taking your car longer than normal to start, the problem could be a weak battery.
- Car Won't Start at All: When trying to start your vehicle, you notice it won't start at all.
- Heavy Corrosion on the Batter: Visually inspect your battery and the battery posts to make sure they are not heavily coated with a bluish material or a clear coating. These can be indications your battery is leaking acid, preventing the battery from working properly.
- Your Headlights are Dim: Since your battery is the source of energy for your vehicle, dim headlights are an indication it is not supplying enough to run your car's systems.
- Your Engine Backfires: If your battery isn't working at its optimal levels, weaker sparks can create fuel to pool in your cylinders causing it to backfire when you start your car.
What to do When Your Battery Is Dying
While any of the above issues can indicate your battery is going dead, it's a good idea to take your car to a certified mechanic to have it checked. Issues with the starter, headlights or backfires can be caused by other problems in your vehicle.
If you need a car battery replacement, we invite you to bring your vehicle to Kehoe Auto Repair today!