7 Simple Tips For Getting Your Car Ready For The Upcoming Season
- Get the right kind of oil change. The oil used should have the right viscosity, or thickness, for your vehicle at this time of year. Oil tends to thicken as it gets colder, and if it’s too thick it won’t do the best job of keeping your engine lubricated. During extreme heat oil tends to break down. When we change your oil we make sure the proper oil for your vehicle is used.
- Make sure you can see. When’s the last time you replaced your windshield wiper blades? They usually work effectively for about one year, sometimes less in due to high temperatures during the summer. Also, be sure to fill up your windshield washer reservoir with windshield washer fluid. Be sure your heater and defroster are working properly so you can keep the windshield nice and clear.
- Give your battery a little TLC. This is an ideal time of year to make sure your battery’s posts and connections are corrosion-free. If your battery is more than three years old, have a qualified repair shop (us) test its ability to hold a charge.
- Examine your belts and hoses. Make sure the belts and hoses get checked for wear and tear —even if you’re driving a newer car. Cold weather can do a number on belts and hoses, so they deserve attention. This is something we do as a courtesy any time we perform an oil change service.
- Check your tire pressure. Your tires must be properly inflated to ensure you’ll have the best possible traction, great traction is even more critical in wet, snowy or icy conditions. It’s also important that they are not over-inflated! Again this is a service we will perform at no charge for you.
- Make sure your tires have adequate tread. If the tread is not up to par you’ll have a difficult time gaining traction in snow and ice, this includes longer stopping distances.
- Get the antifreeze mixture just right. Be sure you antifreeze level is where it should be, aim for having a 50-50 mix of antifreeze (coolant) and water inside your radiator. Be sure to use the proper antifreeze for your car.
Items 1 – 7 are all something we will help you with, much of it is included when you come in for our premium oil change service!
If there’s something you feel you’d like answers to don’t hesitate to give us a call at (630) 668-6530 even if it’s something as simple as help with making sure you have the proper tire pressure, we’re here to help!